SAMUDRA News Alerts

• Home
  • SAMUDRA News Alerts
Namibia scoops high-profile award at UN biodiversity summit for Marine Resources Act October 18,2012   |  Source: Bernama

Namibia was awarded the Silver Future Policy Award 2012 during an awards' ceremony held at the Conference of the Parties (CoP 11) in Hyderabad, India, on Tuesday.

The World Future Council Foundation said in a media statement issued on Wednesday that the only international award that celebrates policies rather than people was given to Namibia in recognition of its Marine Resources' Act of 2000.

Namibia's press agency Nampa reported that the Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Marine Resources, Kilus Nguvauva, received the award.

"It gives me great pleasure to stand before you today to receive the Future Policy Award 2012 on behalf of the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources and indeed, the entire Namibia.

"My presence here is a testimony to over 20 years of Namibia's efforts to rebuild the stocks of its marine resources, and manage the fisheries on a sustainable basis as envisaged in the cardinal law of the land, in Article 95(I) of the Namibian Constitution," he said.

The Gold Award was given to Palau, which is situated in the western Pacific Ocean, for two marine policies - the Protected Areas' Network Act, initiated in 2003, and the Shark Haven Act of 2009.

The Philippines also won silver for its Tubbataha Reefs' Natural Park Act (2010).

The founder of

© 2012 BERNAMA

Theme(s): Others.

Post Comment
Search

Title/Storyline/Country/Keyword

Select Date:

Select Themes